Wednesday 23 November 2011

Trafficked Women!

People from all over the world come to Canada to find refuge here.  Although, for some women, immigration to Canada is in an act of exploitation against women, for them to become a mail-order bride.  This is when a woman (usually of the same culture) from a third world country is ordered by a man in a first world country.  The mail-order bride system "exploits the economic inequality between poor countries and prosperous countries, as well as the most demeaning and discriminatory cultural and ethnic stereotypes of women. This phenomenon thus fosters subordination based on ethnicity, sex and social class within a country, between countries, and between individuals" (Belleau, 2003).    

The fact that women are looked at as objects and are treated as such is just wrong to me.  I don't believe that men have the right to buy women.  One can just imagine the effect that this would have on the woman or bride.   The woman is putting herself in danger as she becomes vulnerable and is dominated by the man.  Some women are treated as less of a human being in some countries, and are already looked at by members of their country as less of a person than men and do not have equal rights.  The idea of a woman considering becoming a mail-order bride as a better life than the one she has, or as a cultural norm, or that it is in some way gratifying to herself or her family is preposterous, the society that the woman comes from is sexist as well as the act itself.

In Canada, "at the moment, the law exposes brides to penalties, while leaving the introduction agencies and consumer-husbands unpunished" (Belleau, 2003). The fact that the men involved in order the mail-order bride go unpunished is an act of oppression itself.  The woman who already suffers from social sexism, is then punished for an act of sexism.

How will mail-order brides ever become an act of cruelty and  become a ruling against men?  I am personally astonished to learn that the women are punished for being a mail-order bride and the men are not.  To me, this is a sad and exhausting example that as a woman, makes you feel helpless and really intensifies the reality of the patriarchy society that we live in.  I think that in order for the government to help the situation it would have to involve helping the woman in the situation, with support programs that would help her to become independent, especially in situations where the woman is abused.  The very fact that these women do not have any resources, money or few rights as an immigrant, is what endangers the women into further submission.

Brenda,

References,

Belleau, M. (2003). Canadian Woman Studies: Mail-order brides and Canadian immigration policy22(3/4), 94-103.

14 comments:

  1. I've always been aware that mail-order brides existed but I never looked at it in this way before! I too am shocked to know that only women are punished of being mail-order brides. It is even more shocking to know that Canada, a country that strives on equality, sees this law as just! Thanks for posting this, Brenda.

    - Adrienne A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was something i was unfamiliar with. Thanks for posting it. This just makes me angry, how women can be taken advantage of and be ordered around. It also makes me disgusted when we hear our country doing this. There for sure needs to be programs and support groups for women regarding this issue. Our government needs to act faster on things like this

    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been semi aware of this situation but am still confused. How does something like this even exist? Is it mandatory in these third world countries? Is is the women's choice to sign up for this? This is a horrible situation and if this is the only way a women can find freedom in another country than that really is not freedom at all.

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Brenda! I never really looked at this issue indepth, but now that i am more aware it truly is disgusting. People who live in less fortunate coutries, i assume are always striving to have a better life, and may see this as a way in doing so. This is most not the answer. And to know that women are the ones getting punished, is unbelievable. Thank you for the post Brenda!

    Jenn S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I have a friend who got divorced a few years back and her now ex-husband had actually gotten a mail-ordered bride from Ukraine. Personally, I found this discusting, but now after reading your blog and finding out that only women are being crminally charged for this act, made me even more furious. This just takes it to another level of patriarchy and the impact they have on policy makers. Good post.
    -Medina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting on this! I'm happy to learn more about this and i'm happy it is being discussed because this subject has bothered me for a very long time. Why aren't men getting arrested for doing such a terrible and demeaning thing? and why do men think that they can "buy" a women? We are not an object, we are human beings! Equal to men! Thanks again for bringing this up, great post!
    -Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenda,
    I really enjoyed reading this post, and the photo is very suiting. I can't believe that the women in this situation receive punishment and the men don't. This is a very frustrating issue, but you did a great job of presenting it. Good post!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not realize that was going on in Canada, how blinded do I feel right now. But thank you for this post! I can not believe that more is not being done. I do not understand how someone feels they can "buy" another human being. We are all equal, man or woman, and more people need to start thinking like this.
    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! It astonishes me that there is such a double standard going on in Canada. I don't understand how it is fair for a man to "order" a bride and not get punished for it? Many of these brides come from poor conditions and are not well informed yet they face charges. This is a cruel double standard that needs to be changed.

    -Iresha

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely a topic that gets very little coverage, so much that most people (myself included) know little about it.
    I think it's sad that the promises of a new, and hopefully better, life await them, but apparently that is not the case!

    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea that this even existed till you said something in class. Now that I read it more in depth, I don't have words to descride how disgusted I am. I really think situatations like this need to be more accessable and talked about for people to fully understand the dangers that this creates.

    Great post!

    ~Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. This topic makes enrages me. Although I cannot say I'm surprised, we do live in a patriarchal society, it still is so eye-opening that the bride is the one who is punished. We need a better system in place to protect these women.

    Great post!

    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everyone about how shocking the issue is! You would think that we would look into this issue in more depth! I actually knew a guy that said he wanted to order a bride! He never really had many girlfriends and I was sickened when he thought of buying himself a woman that he could control. I felt as though he had no idea on what a relationship really was and was a bit of a control freak!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very disheartening situation. When a man literally orders a wife, he gains so much control over her life. He chooses the neighbourhood she lives in, the people she socializes with, and the opportunities she has to explore. She’ll come to Canada and have to settle into the life of the man. This makes me question how many mail-order brides experience domestic abuse and how many women are able to escape such an unfortunate situation. As many of you put above, this is disgusting and I am surprised to have such an issue in Canada.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete