Wednesday 16 November 2011

Liberal feminism has benefited us more

Canadian Feminists are groups of  women that have conformed to give women a voice and to provoke women’s movements and to fight for new policies surrounding women’s rights. "Since the end of the 19th century, Canadian women have been organizing to redefine their place in society, to demand equality and justice" (Women's Movement, 2011).  In his book Mullaly (2007) says “three schools of feminism are outlined: liberal feminism, social feminism, and radical feminism” (p. 162).  About conservative feminism Mullaly (2007) explains that “there is no conservative feminism school since the essence of feminism is to do something to rectify women’s inequality” (p. 162).  In regards to its influence on individualism and equal opportunity for all, liberal feminism has benefited Canadians more.   

In theory, liberals accept capitalism and realize that it does have negative effects on the society.  In realizing this liberal feminism “has brought about some reforms in the public sphere such as the workplace, education, wages, pensions, civil and social rights, and so on” (Mullaly, 2007, p. 164).   Liberal feminists believe that members in society should be equal.  Equality for all in society then must mean the right to equal rights, education, health, employment and so on.  They also believe that oppression should be controlled throughout the society.  Equal rights affects me as a mother, a student and woman.  I have the right to an education, I have the right to have children or not and I have the equal right to apply for any employment opportunity without being judged.  To me the control of oppression in the society means that I will not be dominated by men.

Women have to figure out who they are before they can take on any other issues, for example, my mother was a victim of spousal abuse by my father and so growing up my opinion of my father and of men was already decided for me by my mother.  I was taught to think and do things on my own, and that there was no need for a man to assist me in any way.  Now, older and wiser, I can make decisions for myself and decide what to is important to me as a woman.  From my experience, I can relate to what feminism stands for and if I was an active feminist I would take on a liberal feminist view because equality is important to me as a woman in Canada.

Brenda,
References:

Mullaly, B. (2007). The New structural Social Work (3rd ed.). Don Mills, Ontario, Oxford University Press.

Women's Movement. (2011). Canadian Encyclopedia.com. Retrieved from:
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0008684

2 comments:

  1. i consider liberal feminism to be one of being white middle class women. it seems to me that women of other races living in poverty do not gain anything from it in fact this form of feminism does not meet the needs of these women. This may be one of the reasons that feminism has become a bad word.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a women could mean different things to some people, so I agree that we need to figure out who we are before take on any other issue. Its upsetting that over the years we almost seem to be going back into the old ways of thinking about women. I can count how many times I've heard my old boss talk about women as if they were toys with other employees that were younger then I.

    ~Joelle

    ReplyDelete